Monday, August 29

More Quiet Time Resources -

So some of this is familiar - some of this is new - hopefully you'll find all of it encouraging.

First - you do not have to have a quiet time every single day that looks like the quiet time you have every other single day. There are certainly seasons for laying strong foundations for godly habits - and there are also seasons for really living in the reality of the fact that we are in relationship with God - and no relationship works like a machine ... they're dynamic, funny, spontaneous, unpredictable and engaging.

What IS a "Quiet Time?"
That's just how I refer to the time I spend alone with God. I try to do this daily - and can always tell when I haven't given this the priority it needs - I just feel "off". Just because it's called a "quiet" time - doesn't necessarily mean that I have to be quiet during it ... just that the more I can quiet / still and focus my soul before the Lord - the easier it is for me to connect with Him.

Usually I at least start my quiet time in the morning - before I ever leave the house. This isn't because I like getting up early - but because I know that going out the door after a fresh conversation / prayer time / study time with Him - I'm much more apt to remember to live out His wishes / values and ways first - rather than falling back on my automatic habits (which are usually driven by less than Godly attitudes).

Come to think of it - given what kind of impact quieting my spirit before God has on my life - instead of calling this spot in my day a "quiet time" it should be called something completely awesome ... like "T-Time" (transformation time) or "Fueling" ... or something like that. I'm sure someone out there has a better/more apropos name ... naming's not precisely my talent.

If you are new to spending time alone with God - for the purpose of Fueling, Transforming, Morphing and such - here are some more great ways to add to your options:
1. Daily Bread - an almost "magazine like" daily devotional. Pick up a hard-copy at Cornerstone (or ask for one at your church) or read it on-line.
2. My Utmost for His Highest - probably THE CLASSIC daily devotional. Available in more flavors than any other. Available in hard-copy and on-line
3. Morning and Evening - another classic daily devotional. Again - available on-line and in hard-copy.
4. Streams in the Desert - this one is a compilation of devotions from many sources. On-line and in hard-copy.
5. A whole host of Christian authors have also written daily devotionals - more here than I could ever list.
6. Here's one I just started reading; "Sparkling Gems from the Greek" which focuses heavily on clarifying things "lost in translation". Hard copy only - and these are long-thought provoking word-studies. No pocket edition available - but you can get an electronic edition.
7. And of course there is BibleGateway.com - which is loaded with Bible study resources; numerous translations, study helps, even some books.

Bottom line though - no matter how good the quality of the resources you use during your times alone with God - it's the slow transforming of your own mind and you understand and obey God's word. In my experience - any devotional book/tool gets "stale" after a while ... but God's word is always Razor Sharp (Hebrews 4:12 compares it to a sword). Growing in your commitment to obey God's Word and encouraging others to do the same will keep God's Word really active and meaningful to you. Honestly - all you really need for your "Transformational Fuel Times" (or whatever you want to call it) - is a Bible and obedience. It's not any more complicated than that.

If you're interested in more help with further resources, or how to go about applying God's word to your life - don't hesitate to contact myself, any of the leaders of JC's Village and/or ministry leaders from your church. The more you understand and live by God's word - the easier it is understand and live by His word.

Via Con Dios!


ps - Click here to read the rest of the article associated with the picture at the top of this post

No comments:

Post a Comment